Sunday, February 24, 2013

Story Telling in Real Life

This semester I am in writ 201 with Professor Jill Davis. It is pretty much a pay it forward class. We work on creating something that will help the community or world. We have this opportunity to join an organization that is already created and work on it for the semester. I jumped at the chance to join one because, honestly, it sounded better than creating a brand new one. The one that I joined is call Tuesdays with Morrie. Inspired by the book by Mitch Albom, Mitch is talking to one of his old college professors, Morrie, who is dying from ALS. They talk about everything, from how they are doing in their life now, and the main theme is dying.

I am doing essentially the same thing, but the person I am talking to is not dying soon from a disease. I get to talk to a senior citizen named Jack Staples. I get to listen to all the stories he is willing to tell me, from the time when he was a little boy to the present, where he is living alone, just a few months after his wife's passing. I take as many notes as I can, and write an 'essay' about their life. I pick a common theme, one direction I choose to discover more about. I then present my story to Jack and show him the care I took to create it. This takes the entire semester and I am only in two out of six meetings with Jack so far but it is exciting to listen to him just telling me stories.



  Morrie doing his all time favorite thing, dancing, before he was diagnosed.  




No comments:

Post a Comment